Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
For many years, taking responsibility for the local community and the environment has been a key focus of Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development. Rezidor's Responsible Business (RB) programme solidified this commitment in 2001, as each hotel developed a unique RB Action Plan. The Action Plan addresses areas such as environmental improvement, community outreach, health and safety and employee well-being. Because of these initiatives, Ethisphere Institute named the group one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" in 2010.
In addition to engaging with local charity groups, this hotel is involved with Rezidor's corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Activities and achievements:
- This hotel received the Silver Level of the Green Tourism Business Scheme, recognizing the hotel’s commitment to environmental compliance and commitment toward Green Tourism.
- Upon induction, every employee at this hotel receives the Living Responsible Business training course. All managers also participate in the Leading Responsible Business training course.
- The hotel’s staff periodically collects books, clothes, children's clothes and toys for various local charities.
- Teams from the hotel help local organisations clean bike paths, plant trees and shrubs and remove rubbish from the woodlands.
- Great emphasis is placed on recycling and energy conservation within all departments in the hotel; a designated team member ensures conservation of water and electricity by installing timers for lights in non- essential areas, and the hotel utilises motion sensitive lighting, low energy bulbs, water cards in guest bedrooms and ongoing testing of the dishwashers to ensure efficiency.
- The hotel participates in the Carbon Challenge at Manchester Airport, a unique initiative challenging businesses to reduce their carbon footprints.
- Staff members raise money for the local charities Great North Run and Manchester Bupa 10K Run.
- The hotel organised a Charity Car Wash for various charities in 2011.
- The hotel hosted a company blood drive with the help of the NHS Blood and Transplant. Forty-two appointments were booked.
- For more information, please visit the Green Business site.