St George's Hall
The magnificent neo-Grecian façade of Liverpool's St George's Hall will imbue visitors with a sense of awe. The building was created as a joint space to house grand concerts and the city's law courts. When it was built the hall far surpassed any similar public buildings in the country. It is now part of the William Brown Street conservation area that also includes the Walker Gallery and St John's Gardens.
History of St George's Hall
Before the opening of St George's Hall, Liverpool lacked a space large enough for the many concerts, meetings and dinners that habitually took place across this bustling metropolis. The money to build the hall was raised by the selling of shares and by 1837 £23,350 had been raised, a substantial sum for the time.
In 1838 the foundation stone was laid and in 1839 the competition to find a suitable design was won by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes. Originally the concert hall and law courts were to be two separate buildings until Elmes proposed they be merged to create the splendid building that survives to this day. The hall is also famous because the Beatle's drummer Ringo Starr once played on its roof. The hall underwent a period of restoration in 2007 and now has a Heritage Centre.
Accommodation near St George's Hall
Visitors to the city hoping to spend some time exploring the architectural grandeur of St George's Hall or attending one of the many concerts can base themselves conveniently at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Liverpool a 10 minute drive away. This central hotel in Liverpool has all the modern amenities you would expect including free high speed Wi-Fi, and a fitness suite complete with swimming pool and spa.