Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the Rezidor broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering such areas as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the Rezidor corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
RB activities and achievements of this hotel:
- The hotel has hosted lunches for the following charities: Marie Curie, Breast Cancer, Northern Ireland Children's Hospice and SPEAC.
- The hotel joined with a local taxi company to host a Golf Day for SPEAC.
- Out-of-date guest toiletries and supplies are donated to a local men’s shelter.
- Unclaimed lost property is distributed to local charities for their clients, including: eye glasses to Age Concern; ink cartridges to Help the Aged; batteries to Atlas Environment; clothes to Ulster Cancer Research; books and electronics to Oxfam; and phone books to Belfast Schools Project.
Environmental efforts include:
- Implementing a preventative maintenance programme
- Installing low-energy mini bars
- Purchasing supplies in bulk to reduce packaging waste
- Recording and monitoring consumption of gas, electricity, water and waste
- Utilising low-energy light bulbs in rooms and corridors